Comfort Zones: The enemy of the legend
Let’s be real, we all have fears. Some of these fears are real and some are only made up in our wild imaginations. The thing is though, these fears almost always keep us from stepping outside of our comfort zones.
Has someone ever encouraged you to do something, only resulting in you declining because you feel like you’re going to look like an absolute clown? Chances are, 99% of you reading this post have experienced this situation multiple times throughout your lives.
But where do these fears come from?
Well, the simple answer is, is that most of them stem from past experiences, or are simply your mind’s way of backing out of a challenge. You see, from experience I’ve learned that our brains are hard-wired to sense any threats that may harm us, whether that’s physically or mentally. Anything that the brain interprets as a threat, is immediately followed up by our body physically refusing to partake in the risk of experiencing that threat.
Ultimately, this cat-and-mouse game played by our minds and our body’s, are what prevent us from stepping out of our comfort zones.
How can we step outside of our comfort zones?
First and foremost, you have to realize that a comfort zone is a bad thing 99% of the time.
If you continually go through the same routine, day after day, month after month, and year after year, you’re getting NOWHERE. Progress is a consequence of constantly challenging your abilities. Progress, therefore, cannot be achieved if it remains within the walls of our comfort zones. We need to break that wall down, even if it’s brick by brick.
If you felt the urge to read this post, I can surely say, with confidence, that you’re one of the ambitious people in our world. You are part of the very few who refuse to let your mind and body limit you. So, what can we, as the ambitious beasts of the world, do to escape from our comfort zones?
Let’s take a look…
5 Tips on how to step outside of your comfort zone
- Always monitor your progress, whether it be your progress in the gym or your financial progress. Tracking progress will motivate you to remain hungry for challenges that’ll put you outside of your comfort zone.
- Befriend more adventurous people. Now, this does not mean making friends with any sketchy criminals, but rather people who like the flow of adrenaline through their veins and people who are not satisfied with ending each day as the same person. Soon enough, their adventurous spirit will spill over to you.
- Participate in activities that challenge you both physically and mentally. I recommend taking up a martial arts class, or getting a gym membership. These types of activities require constant improvement, even during the hardest of times and they’ll teach you about discipline, perseverance, and most importantly, constantly challenging your abilities.
- Change up your daily habits and routines. Constantly going through the same motions will make you stagnant in all aspects of your life. Bring in new routines and also try to talk to your peers about their daily routines. This might help you to make some needed changes to your own.
- Travel, even if it’s just to a new city or town. It is often said that your environment ultimately determines your mindset. Some new scenery now and then just might allow for the flow of new, creative ideas throughout your mind. This can also make you realize that the bubble you’ve created for yourself, is only a small part of the bigger picture, and therefore needs to expand.
Now, I know that stepping outside of your comfortable little bubble is easier said than done. Some of you might be coping with mental or physical illnesses that make it hard for you to challenge yourself. However, there are MANY changes that you can make to your life that will allow you to go beyond what you thought was possible. The key is to want that change just as bad as you want to breathe. Once you’ve reached that level of desire, there’s nothing on this planet standing in your way!
If you found this post interesting, check out my latest motivational piece!